Job Summary (Why does job exist?)
The Electrical Engineer reports to the Reliability & Performance Manager and is responsible for all electrical engineering duties required for the Longview Power Plant. The Electrical Engineer is involved with System and Plant performance, Electrical Devices, Transformers, Motors, Excitation System, Generator, Substation, Switchyard, Motor Control Centers, Breakers, UPS and Battery System, and Plant Auxiliaries. This person will use engineering principles to provide technical support for the Longview Power 700 MW Supercritical Coal Fired Generating Station.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage all technical aspects of High and Medium Voltage equipment and systems.
- Manage Transformer Condition Assessment program including infrared, airborne ultrasonics, oil analysis, and electrical testing.
- Manage all technical aspects and condition assessments of motors including PdMa motor testing, infrared, and shop surveillance.
- Manage the technical aspect for NERC related activities relating to electrical systems including relay protection and DC Power Systems.
- Adopt a continuous improvement approach to find opportunities to improve reliability and efficiency by understanding plant processes and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Manage capital and expense projects as assigned to completion including documentation and communication of new procedure requirements.
- Complete Root Cause Analysis and lead implementations to resolve root causes.
- Demonstrated experience with PLCs, DCS, and various controls equipment.
- Develop, budget, plan, and execute projects of various sizes.
- Work with other Engineers and plant personnel to develop, revise, and implement operating, maintenance, and other procedures.
- Work with other Engineers and plant personnel to resolve malfunctions, implement repairs, and review operating characteristics in the plant
- Comply with the obligations of all permits including Federal, State, and Local regulations.
- Review and Specify Systems, Components, Modifications, and Performance.
- Provide assistance, technical information, and direction to Longview’s personnel.
- Provide feedback to other personnel regarding failures, problem resolution, and lessons learned.
- Diagnose faulty operations, maintenance, and process procedures and implement corrections.
- Conduct tests that analyze Design, Feasibility, Operation, and Performance of systems, components, and equipment.
- Coordinate regular periodic plant audits and inspections to ensure that proper regulatory plans are in place, tracked, reported and updated as needed.
- Stay familiar with applicable engineering standards and abreast of changes.
- Read and interpret Blueprints, Technical drawings, Schematics, and Computer generated reports.
Job Requirements (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills)
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering or equivalent level of experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in steam and electric power plant operations or similar industry.
- Extensive experience in the use of personal computers and various software applications such as Excel, Word, MS Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, etc.
- Ability to productively work independently and as an overall integral team member.
- Must have strong communication both written and verbal skills and the ability to effectively organize and facilitate process teams to implement facility improvements.
- Ability to handle quick changing situations under stress and to work extended hours on short notice if and when required.
Does this job have supervisory responsibilities? No
Receives very general guidance with respect to overall objectives; work is usually quite independent of others; operates within plant or department policy guidelines using independent judgment in achieving assigned objectives.
Are there non-supervisory employees who report directly to this job? No
Are there subordinate supervisors reporting to this job? No
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
- Ability to review, recommend, and communicate in a very high level of detail.
- Stay current on Engineering principles, technology, and standards.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Level of education and experience needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of this job.
A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering or equivalent level of experience.
A minimum of 5 years of experience in steam and electric power plant operations or similar industry.
Level of language (ability to read, write, and speak) needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of this job.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Level of mathematical skills and abilities needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of this job.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Level of reasoning skills and abilities needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of this job.
Ability to define problems, collects data, establishes facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
Handle multiple projects simultaneously.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Licenses, certificates, or registrations that are required to perform the essential duties of this job.
Valid Drivers License
How much on-the-job time is spent in the following physical activities?
|Using hands to finger, handle or feel||X|
|Reaching with hands and arms||X|
|Climbing or balancing||X|
|Stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling||X|
|Talking or hearing||X|
|Tasting or smelling||X|
|Other: Computer Use||X|
|Other: Respirator Use||X|
Does this job require that weight be lifted or force be exerted? If so, how much and how often?
|Up to 10 lbs||X|
|Up to 25 lbs||X|
|Up to 50 lbs||X|
|Up to 100 lbs||X|
|More than 100 lbs||X|
Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
|Wet or humid conditions (non-weather)||X|
|Work near moving mechanical parts||X|
|Work in high precarious places||X|
|Fumes or airborne practices||X|
|Toxic or caustic chemicals||X|
|Outdoor weather conditions||X|
|Extreme cold (non-weather)||X|
|Extreme heat (non-weather)||X|
|Risk of electrical shock||X|
|Work with explosives||X|
|Risk of radiation||X|
How much noise is typical for the work environment of this job?
Loud (examples: metal can manufacturing department, large earth-moving equipment)
Minimal overnight travel (up to 10%) by land and/or air.
Apply for this job online here.