ESSSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Operates Control system / initiates startup / shut down / equipment systems.
• Develop plant specific Production Operating Procedures.
• Utilize Plant Operations to support start-up/ shut-downs & maintains efficient & safe operations.
• Responsible for day- to-day operation of the coal fired power plant to ensure the safe, cost effective, efficient and environmentally sound production of bulk electrical energy.
• Perform troubleshooting and documentation, and assist in the resolution of problems.
• Monitor and ensure compliance of all Safety & Environmental policies and procedures with all employees including contractor personnel.
• Full operational knowledge of plant Distributive Control Systems.
• Capable of assisting or filling in for Operations Technicians as required.
• Represents Longview Power’s best interest at all times.
• May temporarily override automatic controls to bring equipment into recommended or prescribed operating ranges, switch to backup equipment or systems.
• Adjusts PLC’s, DCS to set specified fuel feed, draft ranges, water level, and/or steam pressure of boiler.
• Clean Plant Equipment as required.
• Records data such as equipment temperature, voltage loads, and generator balance.
• Adheres to compliance of all Safety & Environmental policies and procedures with all employees.
• Controls Turbine output, adjusts and monitors all required parameters according to plant operating procedures.
• Perform PM, PDM, and CM activities and other duties as assigned by the CMMS program.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS)
• 12 years formal education (High School Graduate) or equivalent.
• Five years prior Power / Process plant experience in a control room environment.
• Knowledge in Balance of Plant systems start-up, operation, and shutdown of plant.
• Thorough knowledge of equipment isolation and tagging procedures.
• Experience responding to plant abnormal situations, alarms, and emergencies.
• Thorough knowledge of the location, purpose and proper use of the plant safety equipment.
• Experience aligning, switching, isolating, and paralleling electrical equipment and systems.
• Successfully complete pre-employment exam, including a drug/alcohol test, and a background check.
Does this job have supervisory responsibilities? No
Receives very general guidance with respect to overall objectives; work is usually quite independent of others; operates within plant or department policy guidelines using independent judgment in achieving assigned objectives.
Are there non-supervisory employees who report directly to this job? No
Are there subordinate supervisors reporting to this job? No
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Knowledge of arithmetic functions addition, subtraction, multiplication, division
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to communicate in English orally and in writing.
• Knowledge of reading and interpreting P&IDs, and electrical one-line, schematic, and logic diagrams.
• Knowledge of and ability to apply the basic principles of physics, chemistry, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid flow, and combustion.
• Strong knowledge of instrumentation and control concepts.
• Strong knowledge of electrical theory and how it is applied in a power plant environment.
• Knowledge of plant hazards and approaches to protecting both personnel and equipment.
• Knowledge of corporate and plant policies and regulations.
• Knowledge of plant environmental regulations and compliance requirements.
• Knowledge of fire and accident prevention techniques and methods of responding to fire and accidents in the plant.
• Knowledge of first aid and CPR.
• Knowledge of the flowpaths, operating theory, requirements, and limitations of the boiler, steam turbine generator, auxiliaries, and all balance of plant systems and equipment, as it pertains to his/or job duties.
• Knowledge of plant water treatment systems operating theory, requirements, and limitations including chemical feed equipment, demineralization system, water pretreatment equipment, and water quality control system as it applies to his/her job duties.
• Knowledge of action required in case of an accidental release.
• Knowledge of the principles of equipment lubrication as it applies to his/her job duties.
• Knowledge of the operation and limitations on pumps, fans, conveyors, compressors, heat transfer equipment, piping components as it applies to his/her job duties.
• Knowledge of equipment, system, and plant protective schemes, sequence of operation and response to abnormal conditions.
• Knowledge of safe techniques for handling gases and chemicals.
• Ability to interpret, diagnoses, and respond to plant emergencies.
• Knowledge of air and water quality requirements, and the associated emissions / reporting, monitoring equipment as it applies to the job duties.
• Knowledge of factors affecting plant emissions (air, water, and noise).
• Skilled in using technical manuals, manufacturers’ instructions and procedures.
• Ability to direct and train other operating personnel in plant start up, shut down, and operational problem solving.
• Ability to stand in for the Operations Shift Supervisor in his absence.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Level of education and experience needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of this job.
Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year College or technical school; or Five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination.
Level of language (ability to read, write, and speak English) needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of this job.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Level of mathematical skills and abilities needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of this job.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Level of reasoning skills and abilities needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of this job.
Ability to define problems, collects data, establishes facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
Handles multiple tasks simultaneously.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Licenses, certificates, or registrations that are required to perform the essential duties of this job.
Valid Drivers License
How much on-the-job time is spent in the following physical activities?
Frequent: Standing; Walking; Sitting; Using hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reaching with hands and arms; Stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling; Talking or hearing; Driving
Occasional: Climbing or balancing; Tasting or smelling; Respirator Use
Does this job require that weight be lifted or force be extended? If so, how much and how often?
Frequent: Up to 25 lbs
Occasional: Up to 50 lbs
Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
Occasional: Wet or humid conditions (non-weather); Work near moving mechanical parts; Work in high precarious places; Fumes or airborne particles; Toxic or caustic chemicals; Outdoor weather conditions; Extreme heat (non-weather); Vibration
Rare: Extreme Cold (non-weather); Risk of electrical shock; Work with explosives; Risk of radiation
How much noise is typical for the work environment of this job?
Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic)
Minimal overnight travel (up to 10%) by land and/or air.
Apply for this job online here.